Monday, December 20, 2021

Christmas Crossroads



When do you stop adding your grown up children to the family Christmas card? Especially when it comes to photo Christmas cards. 

When they are living out on their own? When they get married? What happens if they never get married? This has been my Christmas dilemma. And this is why you won't be receiving a Christmas card from The Smith Family this year.

Normally I'm all over our Christmas cards well in advance. Envelopes are addressed and ready to be sent to Noel, MO post office for that extra special magical Christmas touch. Cards arrive well before Christmas and I have yet again, stayed ahead of my Christmas schedule. But this year I felt so guilty about leaving off our older children from the Christmas card, that I never did settle on my decision. Leave them on or off? It's more than just their names, it's all of them! 

For most Mom's leaving out our children from any greeting card is like throwing away their art work. You completely feel like you are abandoning them! For myself, I was absolutely worried that it would look like favoritism. Why only a photo of Mary Kate and Will? Where are Ryan and Matthew? Why aren't their names even on the card? Dreaded questions I hated to answer, because you know people are going to ask. Some will understand, others won't. And those that don't understand just love to make you feel horrible about your life choices. Then you're left to feel bad about yourself not only as a human but as Mom. Even though your intentions were pure and you are simply trying to let your older children grow up and let them send out their Christmas cards if they'd like. 

But nothing can never come easily, at least not in my world. My life is a living damned if you do, damned if you don't continuous loop. I cannot win. So instead I'm going to talk with my older children during our Christmas Eve festivities and ask their opinions. Not Facebook, not other Moms, I'm asking the people that matter most, Ryan and Matthew. Face expressions can tell me far more than a text or phone call. And I want to make sure that any decision I make for our family isn't hurting anyone...ESPECIALLY during Christmas. 

So if you are like me and at a Christmas crossroads, hoping to get those precious family Christmas cards delivered by Christmas, try not to stress about it. One Christmas not sending out cards isn't the end of the world. But do ask yourself the above questions and then talk it over with the ones who will potentially left off of the Christmas card. Christmas is about love, family, togetherness and most importantly the birth of our Savior. Don't let Christmas get ruined over a card. 

Merry Christmas!
Kat

By the way...Yes, I'm aware I can always send out regular Christmas cards and just write The Smith Family...problem solved. But I'm talking photo cards:)


No comments:

Post a Comment