Monday, September 26, 2016

Meatloaf Veggie Burger

My family loves a good meatloaf, and so do I. Meatloaf is my go to recipe for company coming over and for a welcomed fall meal. But have you ever had meatloaf as a hamburger piled high with roasted root vegetables? Oh. My. Goodness. Y'all don't know food love until you've had these. My Mom used to make these when I was a little girl and here I am now making these for my family. This is a recipe I hope my children will grow up loving as much as I did. And this is a great recipe for anyone on a budget or new to cooking, too. Simple, easy and cheap.

Meatloaf Veggie Burgers


Ingredients
2 lbs ground sirloin
1 packet Beefy Onion soup mix
1/3 cup water
1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup ketchup
1 egg
Extra ketchup for smearing
1 large russet potato
1 bag carrot chips or 2 carrots for slicing
salt and pepper for seasoning
hamburger buns optional

Preheat oven to 350
In a large mixing bowl, using  your hands (yes, just like Mom used to do)
Mix ground sirloin, beefy onion soup mix, water, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup and egg 

Tear off 6 sheets of aluminum foil for wrapping meatloaf patty 
Form meat into 6 hamburger patties
Place each meatloaf patty onto a sheet of foil
Add additional ketchup to the top of meatloaf patties, smearing it across the top of the patty

Cut your potato and carrots into slices (not too thick because it takes longer to cook through)
Generously add potato slices and carrot slices to each meatloaf patty
Veggies should be over flowing, you want a bunch, trust me.
Season with salt and pepper to your liking

Wrap each meatloaf patty and its veggies in the foil sheet 
and poke a few holes in the bottom of the wrapped patty for ventilation and to let fat drain out.

Place wrapped and poked patties onto a lined cookie sheet 
Bake in over for at least an hour 

After an hour let the patties sit for a few minutes to cool off
Opening up patties straight from the oven could burn you because of the steam, so please use caution.

Put meatloaf patty on a bun and pile on your veggies from the same foil pouch
Top with ketchup or mustard or pickles or nothing at all....its so delicious any way you have it!

Best served with fries of any kind (I personally like sweet potato fries!!).
And wash it down with a sweet tea.

Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment