Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Memory Baker

I love handwritten recipes. I am currently in the process of handwriting all of our family recipes for all four of our children. I'm starting with my two oldest sons, Ryan an Matthew, since they are both out of the house living like adults. Like most of you, I grew up learning that feeding others is another way of saying "I love you." Food celebrates, it shows your love, gratitude, welcome and sorrow {They call it comfort food for a reason}. Anytime there is something big happening in our lives, food is a part of it.


{My recipe card box and recipe books I'm making for my oldest sons}

But what happens when we lose those people that made those recipes for all those moments? They are gone and we are left with only the memories of how much we miss them and miss their food.

Food impacts our lives just like people do.

{My daughter, Mary Kate, learning all of Mama's recipes}

That's why I write it all down: the recipe, the year I received the recipe, who gave it to me and some recipes even contain a story. For example, the recipe that I'm sharing with you today, Pumpkin Crunch. Written on the recipe card I have, "this recipe is a fall favorite of mine. Given to me by my Mom when I was in my 20's living out on my own for the first time." You see, recipes don't have to be passed down because you're married or have children. Recipes should be passed down because you saw how it touched someone else.

{A treasure of family recipes}

These days, when I see people make over something I made, I write the recipe down on one of my own recipe cards and send it their way with a little note. It's the cheapest gift you can give, along with one of the most personal gifts you can give.

{Share you next recipe on a recipe card, not in an email}

Recipes are a part of family history and family tradition. Sharing recipes with family and friends, written in your hand, connects us in a way an email, text, blog or even a cookbook can't. So next time you go to a gathering and as you lovingly prepare your food for others, bring a piece of paper and pen, and make note of who complimented you on your recipe. When you get home write that recipe down for them with a little note and mail it as soon as possible. I promise you, you'll make someone feel loved. And there is no better way to say "I love you," when we run out of words, than to say it with food.

{Pumpkin Crunch}


Pumpkin Crunch
1 box yellow cake mix
3 large eggs
1 can {15oz}pumpkin
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 can {12oz}evaporated milk
1 cup melted butter
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
whipped topping
1/2 cup chopped pecans or chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease bottom of a 9x13 baking dish
In a large bowl, combine pumpkin, evaporated milk, eggs, sugar, cinnamon and salt
Mix well and pour into baking dish
Sprinkle evenly with dry cake mix over pumpkin mixture
Top with chopped pecans or chopped walnuts
Drizzle melted butter over nuts and cake

Bake at 350 for 50-55 minutes or until golden brown
Let cool and serve chilled
Top with whipped topping and sprinkle with remaining nuts

Enjoy!




1 comment:

  1. Absolutely LOVE this! I agree with you. I adore hand written recipes and I actually made cookbooks for my female family members as Christmas gifts last year with all handwritten recipe cards. ❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete