Tuesday, September 5, 2017

From A Private Life To A Public Life

When we decided to enroll our two youngest children in private school it wasn't an easy decision. We knew the financial cost would be pressing. And we knew the judgement would be harsh. When most family and friends hear you are enrolling your children into private school they think you are "too good for public school" and that you are "showing off your wealth." We certainly weren't too good for public school and we are anything but wealthy. For us it was all based on providing our children with the best education, and with daily doses of faith to prepare them for the Godless world around them. I was never good in school, I struggled when we moved from Iowa to Arkansas and I never bounced back. School was hard for me but faith was easy for me. My husband was the opposite. School has always come easy for him and faith wasn't. We wanted to give our children the best of both of us and after lots of research and doing our own homework we decided that private school was the best choice for our children at the time.

Back to school garden flag, for purchase click on link below:

Fast forward 3 years later and we found ourselves at a crossroad again. With the buying of an older home, we have found ourselves making constant updates and splurging with a purchase of an in ground pool for our children. We had long decided that this home was going to be our forever home and so we want to make memories now instead of after the children grow up and move away. One in college and one a senior in high school, its very likely we'll have grandchildren before our youngest two are high school graduates. So we wanted to invest in something the whole family could enjoy now and later. But with the purchase of a memory maker like an in ground pool, we're not talking pocket change....it's a big investment. Now with the cost of a pool payment, private school, home repairs, one in college and one with an upcoming jaw surgery and still in braces, we HAD to make cutbacks so we could pay off debt and put money in savings. And sadly that cutback came from private school.

My little girl in her Catholic school uniform and school picture.
 I'll admit I miss the uniform, but she doesn't.

Pulling our children from private school was the hardest decision I had to make. I felt like I was failing them in so many ways. I felt like I was failing God. I felt like a bad Mom. I know, you're probably thinking its completely silly to think like that over a school but it wasn't just a school for us. This is our Church, and I felt like I was abandoning our faith and turning away from God. After so much prayer and financial planning we decided it was time to go from private school to public school.

Printable made by me, Kat Smith: feel free to download and use. 

Now I'm not a sugar coating, lie to my children kind of Mom. I talk to them like young people but I focus on the positive. I do not like saying negative things about one thing to make the other thing sound better. If I'm happy, they're happy and if they are sad, I will talk and listen to their words and we work through it. But I do not lie to make them feel better. Being upfront and honest about the change of schools was hard but they were amazing about it. I mean, when you tell your 7 year old she doesn't have to wear uniforms anymore and she can wear flip flops, it's not hard to get them excited about changing schools. Missing their friends would be hard, but we are pretty good about keeping in touch with others. Already, she's seen old school friends multiple times.

Swimming with old school friends, a few weeks after school started.

So summer came and went way too fast this year....we started our new school and its been amazing for them. They are adjusting so incredibly well and the school-oh my goodness this school-we all love it!!!!! It's a change we needed and a change that we don't regret. Now we are paying off debt and we are praising God for helping to guide us into this new direction in our children's lives. I think God made this change happen for a reason. My daughter, at 7 years old, has already witnessed to a girl in her class, asking her if she knew about God. And if it wasn't for her time in private school, she wouldn't have thought to ask that question. She's so secure in her faith at only 7 years old, I think God knew this school or that one girl needed someone like Mary Kate, who not only shares her toys but shares her love of God too.
First Day of School in our new clothes! No uniform required!

First Day of Kindergarten-Will never got to experience the joys of school uniforms.










No comments:

Post a Comment